5.01.2008

Speaking of blogs

Last night on HBO, Costas Now held a roundtable discussion on, coincidentally enough, the impact of the internet on how sports in particular is covered. The roundtable featured Will Leitch, the editor at Deadspin.com, Buzz Bissinger, an acclaimed sportswriter who has written books such as Friday Night Lights, and Braylon Edwards, a wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns.

These links are from Awful Announcing, a blog that happens to be one which I check on a daily basis. The first is a package that was put together about the blogosphere in sports (featuring Leitch, the Washington Post's Michael Wilbon and Michael Schur, a writer for The Office who blogs under the name Ken Tremendous at FireJoeMorgan.com), and the second is the roundtable itself. Fair warning: The second link contains some VERY coarse language, so be aware of that before you watch.

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/04/costas-intro-on-internet-media-segment.html

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/04/internet-media-segment.html

3 comments:

Dan Igo said...

I was actually just about to post the link to these videos. I visit Deadspin, Fire Joe Morgan and Awful Announcing almost everyday, and in most cases multiple times a day. Fire Joe Morgan contains some of the best writing I've read on the Internet. If you are a serious baseball fan, I strongly suggest you visit the site. It's funny, informative and isn't afraid to go after anyone.

What I took from this segment was how much Buzz Bissinger just doesn't get it. He claims that blogs are too profane, yet he's the one dropping F-bombs during the panel interview. He's a prime example of the "old media" who is completely terrified of the future. He lumps blogs into one big category. I thought Schur had an excellent point when he talked about how there were bad newspaper articles and bad TV news broadcasts. That doesn't mean that all newspapers or TV news shows are bad. You feel sorry for Bussinger because he is so out of touch with reality and just completely embarrasses himself.

Anna said...

Willmott... oooohhhh, you got to it before me. Yes I saw it late. Anyway, I saw this on HBO as well and it spoke directly to our discussion last week. If you get the chance check it out on HBO. Anna

jackson14 said...

I liked the comment about sports fans being crack addicts and needing the constant fix of access to sports on the internet. However, I agree with Wilbon, Where are the credentials of bloggers? Where do their opinions come from?...In other words, why should I listen to you?